Friday, March 6, 2009

Bad toys


My featured toy of the day didn't work out: fish maze with little metal balls and magnet wand to use to move them around (Educo Wood Magnetic Maze, Go-Fish-Go). The kids have never paid any attention to it, so today I showed them how to play with it. One minute of interest. So, I'm faced with a dilemma. The toy is supposed to be good for them (develops fine motor skills). Do I keep it hoping that they will grow into it? Do I give it away? Obviously, I face this dilemma with many toys. I'm a pack rat, so it's very painful to get rid of things. On the other hand, my pragmatism tells that if they've never played with it, expressed no interest in playing with it, no matter how much I tried to elicit it, then it's a classic sunk cost scenario. Off it goes then... *Sigh*...

1 comment:

  1. I have the same problem with toys. Sometimes they grow into it years later and it becomes their favorite. (I have 2, 5, and 11 year old kids)

    Olya

    ReplyDelete