Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cardboard ship



Here's a quick toy I made: a cardboard ship. We received a large package from Amazon, and it seemed a shame to throw out the big box. So, using scraps I found in the garage,

1. I cut off the tops with a knife, folded the two longest ones in half, and hot-glued to the front and the back of the "ship".

2. Taking a throwaway thick piece of wood, I drilled a small hole in the middle of it, just big enough to put into it a dowel. I hot-glued the whole thing to the bottom of the "ship".

3. I cut off a triangular piece of yellow cotton and hot-glued it around the dowel, as a sail.

4. I took a thick heavy dowel piece that was about one-half-of-the-box in length and hot-glued it to the bottom of the "sail", so it would actually look more like a sail keeping the triangular shape (so the two legs of the triangle are dowels).

5. I used one of the cardboard tops that I cut off for a flag: cut it into a triangular shape, wrote my sons names on it, folded around the "mast" and hot-glued it shut.

6. Then I put a piece of navy fabric under it to simulate a sea.

It took me around 30 minutes to complete. As you can see, the goal was to do it very quickly and use whatever I already had.

No comments:

Post a Comment