Monday, March 23, 2009

Injuries and Recipes

Yesterday, our son A. (2.2-yr-old) almost lost his eye. He was running and hit his eye right on the edge of the platform that supports our staircase railing. The cut was less than 1/4 inch away from the eye. Strange, how easily children can come to disability or death. L., being older (3.7-yr-old), had more accidents. When he was about a year, he fell down almost a complete flight of stairs onto hard tile floor. When he was 3, he almost drowned. I can't say that we're very careful parents, we're pretty laid back about baby-proofing (more of the 'remove the temptation' philosophy, rather than 'let's cover everything in plastic' philosophy). On the other hand, our kids (knock-knock on wood) have had very few serious or unserious injuries, i.e., very few cuts or bruises or bleeding of any kind. So, rationally, I have to pronounce yesterday as "one of those days", but of course, there's some nagging thought remaining "maybe I should do something about it".

Today I made another attempt to make granola, this time using Mark Bittman's recipe (http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/09/recipe-of-the-day-crunchy-granola/) as a base. My adaptation:
1.5 cup of rolled oats
0.5 cup of rye flakes
2/3 c chopped almonds
1 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp wheat germ
3 tbsp flax seeds
1 tbsp psyllium husks
1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tbsp of agave syrup
2 tbsp of brown rice syrup
little less than 1/4 c oil
1.5 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup dried currants (after cooking)
I also added 1/4 salt which I won't next time: it came out a bit salty. And, despite what seems like tons of syrup, didn't really come out all that sweet. Also, I overcooked it AGAIN! Argh. I have to learn to take it out before it is the right color, because it continues cooking and crispens outside the oven.

I also made some meat for my salad, a variation on "nedosicheniki": cut up lean beef into small pieces (0.25-0.5 inches); fry on high without oil until no longer red; add thyme, powdered garlic, and red wine and cook until the liquid has evaporated; add egg and fry until the egg is cooked; divide it up and freeze it. I take half a cup of this meat, warm it in the huge microwaveable glass bowl, add several handfuls of salad, a bit of olive oil, a touch of parmesan, and voila, a filling lunch or dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment